Wednesday, June 12, 2013

New WRX: Throwback?

Rendered by JaiMak
With automakers like Ford, Chevrolet, and Dodge playing with their sports cars having "modernized" or "throwback" designs to their old favorites like the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger, I can't help but think Subaru might be taking that same cue with the new 4th Generation WRX, rumored for a MY2015 release in spring of 2014 (same schedule the new 2014 Forester was on).  I had pondered that thought until JaiMak did this fantastic render from a spy photo of a car being tested in Europe, presumably the new WRX.

The more I look at this, the more I see the first Impreza WRX.  The "face" of this car, the way the headlights are shaped, the scoop further near the back, the turn signal/fog light cluster, there's a lot I see in this new design that says "we remember the first WRX" in there.  The grille shape shares characteristics of the older one, but still generally is a little larger like current Subarus.  With the exception of the BRZ, all of Subaru's new front end designs have a larger grille shape than what we've seen before and all share some kind of chrome or lit "surround" that looks a little like something from an Audi LED strip.  To me, and this is if this is what it will end up looking like, it's like Subaru is acknowledging the history the WRX has made for itself while still sticking with where Subaru is going with their current lineup.

Regardless of what folks think it looks like, whatever comparisons are out there, I'm just a fan of what I've been seeing with the exterior, but I'm really excited to see what it's like on the road.  I don't think Subaru will disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment