Monday, November 11, 2013

NSOC Fall Meet

Had a great time at the Nebraska Subaru Owners Club Fall Meet on Sunday!  Great turnout, wonderful weather, fun cruise route, and a good time grilling up some food at my place afterwards with the few folks who stuck around.

Things started off at Stan Olsen Subaru at 2pm on a Sunday.  The dealership was closed, so we weren't in anyone's way to meet up with all the other cars that showed up.  Some folks could only stay for a little bit, so we walked around and caught up with friends while we waited for others to show up.

I think the final count of folks who showed up to the dealership was 28, which isn't bad at all!  Last year's event saw just shy of 40 cars, but there was a car show, prizes, and free food to help lure in interest.  This year, we didn't quite have the resources to plan something as coordinated as last year's event, but I was still very happy with the results.  New owners and long-time veterans got together in the unseasonably nice weather for a little while, surrounded by shiny new Subarus.  It was quite the sight.

We disembarked for our cruise route with 23 cars, which rolled north through some twisty turns and scenic overlooks.  Wind and colder temperatures earlier in the week had stripped some of the colors off the trees, but it was still a pretty run.  It's one of my favorite routes anyways, so I wasn't complaining.

I had some not-so-usual Enkei RPF-1 wheels with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 tires hugging the road that were fun to ride on.  They're off of Aki's GC4, which got parted out when a Cadillac DeVille decided to end it's excellent Autocrossing career.  Figured I'd run on them "in memory" of that car... but mostly because I thought it'd be fun.  Regardless, it was a good excuse to feel the grippy goodness this AutoX setup was happy to provide.

Afterwards, a bunch of us headed over to my home to grill up some Burgers & Hot Dogs.  We also had Root Beer Floats and S'mores to round out a full-course meal of excellence.  It was great talking cars, relaxing, and sharing great food with friends in my basement.  The event worked out much better than I thought it would.  Plenty of people, a flawless run through our cruise route, and then just finished things off hanging out with everybody at my home.  Somewhere between the Dealership and the last s'more, I remembered why I love this group and the Subarus that have brought us together.

No comments:

Post a Comment