Thursday, February 15, 2018

Baja Blast: Time for a Short Block

When I picked up this 2006 Subaru Baja Turbo in October of 2017, I knew it needed some work.  Aside from being absolutely filthy inside and out, a lot of maintenance items had been neglected.  I changed the differential fluid, automatic transmission fluid, brake fluid, all four brake rotors and pads, and replaced the coolant when the new radiator went in.  But before I did all that I knew it would eventually need something more important: a new short block.  That's because when I bought this, it was already 2.5 quarts low on oil and was told the previous owner hardly ever changed the oil to begin with.

If you're unfamiliar with basic vehicle maintenance, neglecting simple things like changing the oil can be detrimental to the life of the engine.  In the case of my turbocharged Baja: it means the dirty oil, low oil level, and +100k mileage has taken it's toll on the piston rings.  It has been burning oil and, even with my monthly oil changes on the car, it wasn't enough to make it through the winter.  When the Check Engine Light came on for timing and AVCS, I knew I needed to do something soon.  It still runs, but a ticking time bomb means that if I were to "drive it into the ground" that I could be looking at even more expensive repairs.  

We'll rebuild the heads, reseal valves, clean valves and valve seats as needed, and seal it up with a Master Gasket Kit.  Figured it'd be smart to use ARP Head Studs as well to hold this sucker together tight.  While the engine is out we'll check out the turbo and make sure things are spinning well there and use a Perrin Up Pipe to delete one of the unnecessary Catalytic Converters.  A new OEM Short Block, along with a couple of other hoses, sensors, and parts will be making their way under the hood to give this Baja a clean bill of health and, as long as it's in my care, a good healthy life ahead of it.

Once this is buttoned up, it'll also have some other bits added to it.  I'll have a good update for the Baja Blast in March when it's ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment