Monday, April 25, 2016

RS meets Prodrive

When my car isn't working the way it should, I buy parts to fix and improve it.  When my car IS working the way it should, I buy parts to dress it up!  Recently, my RS Project Car was absolutely brilliant at the NRSCCA Rallycross Points #3 event, landing 1st in Class and 3rd overall times at I-80 Speedway in Greenwood, NE.  To celebrate how epic this car has been, I decided to go find something... fun!

I managed to track down a rear spoiler from a Subaru Impreza RB5 Prodrive!  I've always loved the look of the factory wings on the WRX STIs in Japan and the UK, but the RB5 wing is a little different.  Plus, there's that cool inset "PRODRIVE" logo stamped on each side that help distinguish it from other Version 5 and 6 WRX STI wings.  As an added bonus, mine had already been repainted in Silverthorn Metallic (the color on my RS Coupe).  The bolts all lined up perfectly with the original mounting points for my old RS wing after I removed it.  The wiring for the 3rd brake light hooked up flawlessly so I went out and took it for a spin.

For those who don't know, the "RB5" was released to celebrate the return of British driver Richard Burns to the Subaru World Rally Team competing in the FIA World Rally Championship.  The Prodrive versions of these limited-edition cars featured a distinctive rear spoiler.  Originally, the wings were dark gray (as all the RB5 units were) but the previous owner of this wing had it painted to match his silver WRX that it was on.  I'm not sure how many times this wing changed hands, but it's in very good shape and compliments the car nicely.  Fitting for a UK part, it was misting when I put the wing on... so I went out and got sideways on some "B Roads" for some fun.  The wing was nice and solid and didn't leak anything from all the wet gravel and dirt I was throwing around for a nice haul through the back roads.  I'm really happy with how it looks now and can't wait to hit the rallycross course again with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment