Sunday, October 29, 2017
Baja Blast: First Fixins
I've had this '06 Baja Turbo long enough to put plates on it, so I've been fixin things as I go. Getting it safe, running right, and cleaned up has been my priority before I start having fun with modifications. Right off the bat, there were 3 things that needed to get tackled.
Even before I could start to fix a few mechanical problems, this Baja needed a bath inside and out! Years of dirt and grime caked the interior and exterior. A good scrubbing and power wash got most of the outside done, but inside was a different story. Carpet treatment, an air system flush and two "Chlorine bombs" got the cabin air breathable while the dash, door cards, and seats got the scrubbing of their life. I wish I had taken a photo of the interior before I started, but it took me a whole two days to get it looking like this.
To be safe to drive around town the tires, brake pads, and brake rotors needed to be changed next. While we had the wheels off to change out rotors and pads, I swapped on a set of 2016 Subaru Crosstrek wheels with winter tires on 'em. They look great and will get me through the snowy months ahead! Some of the bolts on the brake calipers were rusted stuck so we had to use some heat to break 'em free. After new brake fluid and OEM Rotors and Pads, the Baja can now stop all 3,600 lbs of itself easily.
Now that the Baja can stop and I can breathe in it, the last major bit to tackle was under the hood. It didn't take long to notice the radiator was starting to leak. Signs of coolant sprayed under the hood tipped me off at first, but it became obvious that the problem was worsening quickly when the temperature spiked after a simple 15 minute trip. We replaced the leaky radiator along with the upper and lower coolant hoses with OEM Subaru parts and filled it up with fresh coolant. Haven't seen an issue since!
It's not the most exciting work, but it's important to get it running right before I start digging in with modifications and changes. The suspension still needs work, but instead of straight replacing it, I'm considering a lift kit of sorts. Now that the basics are taken care of, I can actually start planning that stuff out. Stay tuned!