Sunday, February 22, 2015

Top Times in the Tundra!

February 22nd marked the first rallycross event on the 2015 NRSCCA schedule.  Appropriately dubbed "The Chili Bowl", this event was bitterly cold.  With high temperatures in the mid teens and wind chill to knock it down to the single-digits, you'd have to be CRAZY to attend, right?  One look at the roster for the event tells a different story.  27 entries, with 16 of them Subarus, made for the biggest rallycross season opener for the Nebraska Region SCCA ever.

It was quite the show!  There were plenty of familiar faces in attendance, but the bulk of the entry list were drivers that were new to rallycross.  For many, this was their first event attacking on dirt with their road warriors.  Still, that didn't stop them from improving with each lap and learning with every corner.  After the dust had settled, Subarus occupied the top spots of all three of the All-Wheel Drive categories: Stock, Prepared, and Modified.

Speaking of top times, in a previous post I mentioned that my car would have a co-driver.  Jon Simmons gave me awesome advice and helped me and my 2.5 RS Coupe to improve lap after lap and go toe-to-toe with other seasoned drivers at the event.  Thanks to his guidance and expertise, I managed to land 3rd in my class and 5th overall.  Not only that, but Jon wheeled his way to 1st in our class and overall for the entire day!  I'm admittedly proud that he did it (and beat out other "faster" cars) with my RS.  It's encouraging to see a result like that in a car I've been working on.

Regardless of the results, I was personally most happy with the experience overall.  Working with people at the event, talking with drivers in-between runs, and the fantastic support and help from my co-driver made the event more than enjoyable.

Check out pictures from the event here> Rallycross Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment