Monday, September 29, 2014

We can Rebuild it... again...

At the beginning of the month, the RS Revival project car was at an all time best!  Body looked great, interior looked great, engine ran great, it was a far cry from the beat-up rusted-out misfiring car it was a year ago.  As luck would have it, things wouldn't last.  Not even a week after the car was running like this, the front drivers side of the car decided to meet up with a deer.  Hood creased, grille shattered, fender punched in, and some nice stress marks on the newly repainted bumper.  Yes, it could've been worse... MUCH worse.  But it was still heartbreaking to see the car beat up so quickly.

The next day was spent searching for replacement parts.  It took a couple of weeks, but everything is finally lined up and on it's way to repair what we technically already had repaired before.  There's a couple of slight changes with these new parts going on, but they're for the better I think.  The first is the addition of Fog Light Covers.  These should help keep rocks and bugs off of the OEM fog lights.  We're building metal brackets for them so they're easily removable when it's "Rally Time".  A Rally car HAS to have big fog lights, right?

The new grille we found has the Subaru logo in the middle instead of the Impreza "I".  As cool as that "I" is, people had a hard enough time figuring out what kind of car it was... let alone who built it!  Having the Pleiades Star Cluster on the front again should clear those questions up.

Lastly, we are actually replacing BOTH fenders, as one of them is hailed/dented/pretty beat up.  Instead we'll have two factory-painted fenders that have been rolled to fit wider wheels.  This is good because the rally wheels barely fit on the car.  When we rebuild the quarter panels, we'll be making the same adjustment.

In the meantime, I've been cleaning engine bay stuff up quite a bit.  I cleaned underneath the windshield wipers / bottom of the windshield and got a lot of grime and dirt out of those tough-to-reach spaces.  Everything should be on the car and buttoned up by the weekend, so it'll be good to keep moving forward on this project instead of redoing more work!

No comments:

Post a Comment